The best books that I read in 2022.


Photo by Susan Q Yin on Unsplash

The noise level from the media and on social platforms has only increased this year, and every topic seems worthy of the crisis postfix. The Lindy effect theory is something I am using to reframe many of the problems that the mainstream media presents as being our problems. It states that the future life expectancy of an idea is proportional to its current age. Therefore, the best filtering heuristic considers the age of stories and headlines. Something that I take into account when choosing what to read, listen to or watch.


Lean back to see more clearly:




Visualize Value


My previous reading goals to help cut down the distraction and noise and remember more of what I read have become unconscious heuristics and habits that I find helpful. Don't choose what to read based on what was published recently. Unless you need to for work, why prioritise the past 24 hours?


I really enjoyed reading these books this year, and I think you will too. Here are my 2022 recommendations for (not new) books to read:


From Third World to First (Lee Kuan Yew)

Published in 2000


Like the classic book "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman, I reckon that Lee Kuan Yew's review of his thirty years in charge as Singapore's first Prime Minister is one of the most highly recommended books that hasn't been read by those recommending it. Unlike Daniel Kahneman's hard-to-read book about how we think, From Third World to First is the easiest-to-read 700-page book I have come across, so everyone should read it. It is jam-packed with powerful insights and lessons relevant to governments, entrepreneurs, and change agents. My book notes are available to subscribers to my free Monthly Musings email newsletter.


Who: The A Method for Hiring (Geoff Smart and Randy Street)

Published in 2008


The most important decisions people make are not what decisions but who decisions.


Who refers to the people you put in place to make the what decisions.


  • Who is running your sales force?

  • Who is making your products?

  • Who is in the corner offices?


Who is where the magic begins, or where the problems start. The book provides a framework for hiring the A players, those candidates who have at least a 90% chance of achieving a set of outcomes that only the top 10% can achieve. If you don't want your senior hires and internal promotions succumbing to The Peter Principle, I recommend reading this book.



If you want to discover more about reading, evergreen content or writing book notes, check out:



Share


If you enjoyed reading this article, please share it with someone in your network who might appreciate it, like a friend, family member, or coworker.



Subscribe


If you liked this article, please subscribe below for more insights. No spam, ever! Just great, insightful content to help you answer your questions and question your answers.

29 views

Recent Posts

See All

Subscribe to our blog

Thanks for subscribing.